Thursday, May 21, 2015

The Lunch List

A couple of weeks ago I had lunch with a friend of mine.  We used to work together, are both fathers to elementary school kids, and have a fondness for doughnuts ... admittedly he likes them a little more than I do - the doughnuts, not the kids.

As we were wrapping up our time together, he asked me if there was a particular reason that I had asked him to meet for lunch.  Frankly, there was a specific reason, so I told him, "you're on my lunch list."  "What's a lunch list", he asked ... and you might be asking the same question, so allow me to explain.

About three years ago, I broke a bone in my ankle.  While my leg was healing, I wasn't able to drive, so I was dependent on people giving me rides.  If I wanted to go out for lunch, I had to find someone to take me.  By the time I was back to driving, I had developed quite a list of lunch time buddies.  That was the start of the lunch list.

I reviewed the list and considered a few things ...
  • It's great to have dependable friends who can help in a time of need.
  • I have been blessed with lots of great men to call friends.
  • Lunch is a great way to share a little life together.
  • Perhaps, I shouldn't let this be a list for the past, but a list for the present.
It was this last thought that sparked the idea of my current lunch list.  The list I now keep is a group of men with whom I intentionally strive to keep in touch. These are men whose lives are important to me.  They are men who bring value to me.  These men pour into me in some way,  I want to pour into their lives as well.  These are "iron sharpens iron" kind of men.

But, how can I ensure that I stay involved in their lives in a way that lets us impact each other.  My life can be busy - I'm sure the same is true for you.  I have much to do and seemingly less and less time to accomplish it all.  I keep to-do lists to help me remember important things in the midst of my busy life.  So, it makes even more sense to keep a list of important people that I don't want to miss along the way. My lunch list is just that - a simple way to help me stay connected to those who mean much to me.

Do you have a "lunch list"?  If so, whose on it?  Who should be added?  If not, start one ... today ... right now.  Write down some names.  Then reach out to someone on your list and invite 'em to lunch.  And when you're asked why, you can talk about your lunch list.

John 1:17 "...grace and truth came through Jesus..." 

No comments:

Post a Comment